Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bali

The sunsets are amazing on Kuta and a lot of people come out for them because the temperature actually drops moderately to a comfortable level. The locals always play soccer, the volleyballs come out, and the surfing is great right up until you loose visibility. I haven't seen Kelly Slater or Andy Irons out there yet but I'll let you know when I do...




Bali is a really great place that I would say is best described as Mexico for the Australians (only not quite as shady as modern day mexico) and it's waaaay cheaper. Great beaches, shopping, nightlife (as if every night is Friday night), and eventually we'll get some white water rafting and volcano hiking in as well. We just haven't made it past Kuta beach yet since we arrived 3 days ago. We also have plans to visit the neighboring island of Lombok for about 10 days while we are down here. Now that we have an uninfected camera card we will be able to post more pics again.

The F1 race turned out to be a little bit disappointing due to the heavy rain cutting the race down from 56 laps to 33 laps. We were glad that we saw the cars so much during the couple of days before the race both in practice and qualifying. Jensen Button grabbed the pole and ended up winning the race (that's 2 in a row for him). Pit strategy played in a lot less with the shorter race so it's not much of a surprise that he won. Definitely glad to have witnessed these cars running though, very incredible machines to see in person! I hope all of the practice session photos aren't corrupt...

2 comments:

Jeremy Havlik said...

Brandon the surfer??? Yeah buddy!

YaYa and CiCi said...

Leah! You'll be glad to hear that we officially missed Wildflower this year :(
I was thinking of you and how we could have been kicked in the nose, tipping over on our bikes going 1mph up hills steeper than we're ready for, or walking up 'mountains' all day on Saturday. In honor of running the Central Coast terrain, though, I at least ran up Bishop's on Sunday... and I realized that we've never actually done that together! Anyway, I hope you and Brandon are enjoying the last of your trip! We all can't wait to see you back....I'm bummed I won't be able to make any welcome home parties in So. Cal. See you soon, Love ya, Sarah
P.S. I am actually quite sad about Wildflower and looking forward to doing it w/ you next year. Get ready!!!